Organising multilingual translation process

Maybe we can achieve the same goal without structured working scheme, I wonder how. At the moment we see the possibility of doing something only by submitting a proposal for voting. If from time to time we’ll be having a couple of new articles for translation, then it is too bureaucratic to create a proposal for approval for such small tasks.

Maybe we need to have an ambassador responsible for translations in general who distributes monthly budget allocated for all translations among different language translation groups. He then provides the information how funds were allocated. Unused funds should be left for later use.

Each language group should have responsible person for distributing, valuating, validating and editing the work.

So basically we’ll have chapter Translations here on this forum. Under this chapter there will be topics for each language where language ambassadors distribute the work among SmartCash members who have certain translation skills.

I know it looks like a centralised company, but it is the most efficient way to create fair conditions for all the translators and high-quality result.

After some time of testing we may apply similar budget organising structure for SMM (Social Media Marketing) for promotion in social network groups (Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, VK etc.) for different languages.

What do you, guys, think?

I came across current voting for Vietnamize translation that looks to be almost approved.
While the project budget is significant, it is so light on details:

The budget requested looks unfair for other translators. I’d like to see your opinions on that.

Where Will Smart Cash Be in Five Years?

It also seems to me that without further explanation of how the budget was estimated and how money will be allocated, it is quite difficult to form my own opinion on that proposal.

@SirBond @hockleyj @God and community interested in the translation process:
how would you recommend paying the authors of the articles or guides that will be translated?

xD im just kidding, but i would love to start getting smart rewards every months actually lol

The overall budget is estimated based on current initial need. For example, lets say at the moment we have 3 active language groups ready to start the work (currently I see only 2 groups, but I expect we may see another one appearing soon enough).

We estimate the work volume using the way Karl (thank you, French team) did it and include website and great articles and guidelines.

Let’s say we have word count for all the initial content for the month of work = 10000 Engish words.
Then we use average current market rate for quality translation (currently $0,1 per word)

We can not set the rate well below this number as SmartCash is highly volatile asset - since the French team proposal, SmartCash rate is down by 20%. All the groups are SmartCash members, so I guess they will be willing to take the associated risks and work towards SmartCash better look while looking into brighter future.

Further is a possible outlook how it should work transparently. Numbers may be discussed.

So lets say we now have 10000 words at the rate of 2 Smarts ($0,1 for today) per word. To engage translation teams for 3 languages we need:

10000 x 2 x 3 = 60 000 Smarts

I assume to add 7% on these expenses for general translation coordinator.
60 000 x 0.07 = 4200 Smarts

Another 10% needs to be added for all language ambassadors. I assume each of them may undertake a part of translation work besides that.
60 000 x 0.1 = 6000 Smarts

Total expenses: 60 000 Smarts + 4200 + 6000 = 70 200 Smarts

General translation coordinator is responsible for:

• choosing most valuable content for multilanguage translation with help of other members
  • submiting the work to language ambassadors
  • overall quality of translations
  • fast and effient communication / funding of language ambassadors
  • organising new language groups, initial vesting process
  • submitting detailed financial reports with links to actual job done monthly
  • estimating new job volume and upcoming month expences
  • submitting translation proposal funding request for voting beforehand

Language ambassador duties:

• picking up good translators from SmartCash members
  • distributing jobs among them
  • validating and editing ready translations
  • cooperating with general translation coordinator
  • funding individual translators
  • triggering translation of outstanding non-Engilsh material into English (in cooperation with general translation coordinator and other members)
  • translating content himself (voluntary)

At the end of the month, general translation coordinator submits detailed financial report on spent funds and creates a funding proposal for upcoming month based on current spending and expected spendings (there could be more materal and language teams appearing)

New language group may be engaged by the desicion of general translation coordinator whether he has unused funds or during next month spending proposal. If the desicion on new language group is doubtful, general translation coordinator should ask for community opinion whether the language has high enough priority (we have many languages in the World, yet at the moment most popular languages, obviously should have higher priority and some languages are just rare). I assume initaly to define high-priority language as the language that has at least 50 million of native speakers.

To estimate if these numbers look fine, lets have a look at the overall picture:

Current task: engage 3 translation teams
Overall cost: 70 200 Smarts + 100 Smarts (proposal submition for voting)

General translation coordinator months pay - 4200 Smarts (210 usd)
(this is in case all the job is done and all the funds are distributed)

Language ambassador months pay - 2000 Smarts (100 usd)
(this pay excludes own translation work, in this example it is assumed that language ambassadors performed all the job described in exacly equal work volume)

Translators pay: price set at current market rate at the time when proposal is funded each month (here we may discuss if this rate may be changed by general translation coordinator during the month, for example at the moment when price changes more than 30%)

Obviously, in case where just a part of the requested funds are used, ambassadors receive rewards only for the job that has been completed. The remaining part is to be left for the next month. For some, these numbers may look big, for others - small. We need to discuss numbers and see early adopters opinion before the proposal will be submitted for voting. Also we should remember, that this is not a full-time job, hence a responsible one. And Smarts will hopefully grow as the time passes by.

This structure may be implemented without general translation coordinator. In this scenario, language ambassadors have to fulfill monthly reports and submit translation proposals for funding. In this case we see the upside:

• less centralized

and the downsides:

• it would be quite tricky for language ambassador to submit funding proposal in the future when just a couple of new interesting articles for translation appeared
  • it is more difficult to organize cross-language translation process or find interesting material in other languages
  • there is greater possibility of low quality work being performed or not performed at all
  • big differences between costs for similar translation work may appear in different translation groups
  • many proposals on voting site for various languages and jobs would pop up that would severly delay overall translation process

Bad translation website into Russian
French website translation project
The idea: to create an open, accessible to all people document for reporting in Google docs

I can offer myself as a global translation coordinator or / and Russian language ambassador for the 1st month only in order to create well-functioning working process of current proposal including

• monthly translation funding proposal template
  • monthly financial report template
  • working guidelines for global translation coordinator, language ambassadors and translators
  • recommendations for vetting processes
  • global translation coordinator - language ambassador handy forms
  • if needed, enchancing the initial idea during real life use

“I can offer” doesn’t mean that I have to become one. Suitable candidates should apply.

To qualify for these positions I have to reveal some private information about me. I’m 36 years old, native language is Russian. I have graduated from major Russian University (Engeneering) and studied MSc in Grennwich University, London (IT in e-Commerce), living in the UK for 5.5 years. I currenty work for industrial company as leading expert in informational resources. I have an experience as an enterpreneur in e-Commerce and various web-related projects. I do have qualified interpreter and professional copyrighter by my side from whom I can get an advice if needed.

I intend to leave both positions on 2nd month for suitable candidates as I see myself more useful for SmartCash community creating and implementing new ideas, optimizing processes and soving known issues. I may occasionally participate as a language translator from time to time when I have spare time.

Only in case there won’t be those who would like or would be qualified to become Russian language ambassador I may consider being the the one longer. I do not intend to remain global translation coordinator after the 1st month due to the possible lack of time in the future as SmartCash evolves.

Obviously,other members may apply for these positions - the aim here is to organise the whole process to achieve fast and efficient multilanguage translations, not for me to become an ambassador.

If I get strong support from the community, I’ll compile the proposal for voting in 2 days time. If there won’t be a strong support, the project will probably just die or it may be picked up by someone for later implementation. Please give your honest opinion.

I love the idea of Language/Translation Ambassadors as pointed out in other translation related posts we need a way to Q/A content/translations and also to ensure material is kept up to date etc, the Language Ambassador idea would address this problem.

I would also like to reserve the language ambassador spot for “gibberish” as it is my first language, English being my second :stuck_out_tongue:

Good one! We should most definitely consider SmartCash translation into “gibberish” for wider adoption :sweat_smile:

Yes, full reports of what was made when and by whom would allow quality check by a community and error fixes. We would need to create a sub-forum SmartCash translations with categories for each language in order to make all the work efficient and transparent for everyone to contribute and monitor the process.

In a way, the solution to the task would be rather unique if implemented. Quality multilingual translation and cross-language translation of up to date material should let SmartCash to appear to broad masses in a best way possible.

@hockleyj we should definitely do that. lol

I fully support your proposal!
The whole process looks transparent and fair.
My vote for you if required.

I support that proposal,translations will become much more organized and the work done better.

I did myself a page for my country and try to translate the most important news and topics to it,and a page for discussion.

I’m not sure we need a general coordinator. I appreciate the idea, but the more levels we add to a structure, the bigger the risk of bureaucracy. Here’s a more detailed view of what I think:

• choosing most valuable content for multilanguage translation with help of other members

Language ambassadors should be able to do it.

Same as above

• submitting the work to language ambassadors

Would not be needed we’d have only language ambassadors

• overall quality of translations

If you meant proofreading, it can only be done by native speakers. As such, language ambassadors are more suited for it.

• fast and efficient communication / funding of language ambassadors

Wouldn’t be needed if we’d have only language ambassadors

Even though people could create new language groups by themselves too, the general coordinator would probably make things simpler.

The global coordinator would have to ask the language ambassadors for the details, so he’d probably end up posting their reports and getting paid for their work.

• estimating new job volume and upcoming month expenses

Having a global coordinator would be beneficial here, but I think that language ambassadors could do it too.

• submitting translation proposal funding request for voting beforehand

Same as above.

That being said, as I wrote in another thread, I fully support your project and I will vote for it (with or without the global coordinator).

Edit: I do think that having unified templates for the reports would be great and support you in preparing them, as you offer to do so.

@Karl

Great points, Karl! Very constructive and highly appreciated! Here are my views on the concerns.

I’m not sure we need a general coordinator. I appreciate the idea, but the more levels we add to a structure, the bigger the risk of bureaucracy.

Good point! I see the main idea here as to create a non-bureaucratic structure where all the authority (power) should not belong to a boss or a group of bosses. Also the idea is aimed to ease funding procedures even for small translation tasks what is in favor of non-bureaucracy. Luckily, we should be able to create a structure where fulfilled work may be easily reviewed and verified by any community member. We also have freedom of speech here. So if there will be a menace of bureaucracy being formed, the community should be able vote against the next funding of bureaucratic machine.

• estimating new job volume and upcoming month expenses
    -Having a global coordinator would be beneficial here, but I think that language ambassadors could do it too

I see the most important role in general coordinator as to allow fast funding on current needs. Without it, we’d see many proposals for different tranlations while for any SmartCash member it may be tricky to decide on how to vote on such proposals - Is it a high priority content/language? Are similar translations already exist in this language? Can I trust this new translator? Are numbers and work volume presented here well balanced? So we may see the situation where delays present and translations stuck in bureaucracy procedures while some low-quality work is being funded for.

-Even though people could create new language groups by themselves too, the general coordinator would probably make things simpler.

As I see it, general coordinator should be able to engage new language groups step by step, giving small amount of work initially and reviewing the results with help of native speakers in social media SmartCash groups in respective language. Obviously, general coordinator won’t be able to ensure translation quality by himself while not being a native speaker. General coordinator should consult SmartCash community members before taking an initiave in new language group creation.

At the start of new language translation group there will be a task where general coordinator should be able to ensure that new language ambassador is able (skilled enough) to perform own duties. There we may see situations where opinion of whole respective language community is needed.

Of course, general coordinator is not considered a leader of the structure, but as worker who has own duties and own role. His work is also easily checked and transparent.

-Language ambassadors should be able to do it

True, but it is better to be done together. First of all, language ambassadors may be too busy to notice some important content in other languages or some content that is considered important by another language ambassador. General ambassador sees all the content being translated as he allocates funding. I think the decision on new content should be discussed on together and in rare cases be even voted for, if opinions differ significantly.

-The global coordinator would have to ask the language ambassadors for the details, so he’d probably end up posting their reports and getting paid for their work.

True, here major work lays on language ambassadors. In this particular task global coordinator only have to compile reports together to confirm balances. Though it doesn’t mean that global coordinator is being paid for the work of language ambassadors. He has own work volume that directly depends on the overall translation volume - number of language groups, translators and jobs, He has responsibilities and has to constantly dedicate own time to eliminate delays in working process. I estimated his contribution to the system very roughly for it to appear currently as a reasonable pay, to ensure sufficient incentive to perform well.

If community further decides that general coordinator is being paid more that he contributes, then certain changes should be discussed / voted on and implemented. More to that, if community decides that global coordinator is not working good enough, then he should be replaced by a suitable candidate.

As for current proposal it looks like I’m initially going to follow through the project as general coordinator having some extra tasks associated with the project start and tweaks. So current expected 210 usd pay for general coordinator definitely won’t be wasted - such a price for a very promissing project being successfully implemented is more than affordable, considering time and efforts invested.

When we come to the point where most of the funds will be spent, I’ll have much more clear picture on how much time it takes for global coordinator to perform own duties. We would be able to see the whole working process more clearly and calculate reasonable rate for global coordinator based on working hours and job volume.

It looks like the majority of our community members support this project. I also see a great potential and expected efficiency in such structrure, so I’m planning on submitting the proposal on Monday (to be exact till midnight GMT, lol).

whats your slack name

@tim hi, the same as here

@Karl @cknr7 It’s almost midnight GMT and the proposal is live now:

https://vote.smartcash.cc/Proposal/Details/Multilingual-Translation-Hive

Guys, lets see how the community reacts to it, should you not go on with your proposal for a while? I think together we can make all the translation thing going more effectively!

@hockleyj @Semptly @fairypark @markjason @CikoXp @alejem93 @calmadigital @Kuya

Dear supporters, please feel free to vote for the proposal as I believe we can do it together, expanding SmartCash network and adding a great value! :wink:

https://vote.smartcash.cc/Proposal/Details/Multilingual-Translation-Hive

We’ve thought about waiting with our proposal when you started yours, but after discussing it, we decided to proceed and to eventually put it to a vote. We want to translate the website before Christmas time. But as we stated in our pre-proposal, we will work within the new translation framework when its implemented.

All right, sure, why not. We better do everything for good things to happen to SmartCash faster! In my current proposal I mentioned what would happen if your proposal would be approved, so either way it is beneficial to SmartCash :wink: